There are a few locations in your Mac the place your title – or another title – may seem: the account title and Home folder. The title that seems is predicated on the Full Name you gave whenever you (or the administrator) first arrange the account.
But what if you wish to change your username because it seems in these places? It’s doable that you’ve since married and now have a brand new title (otherwise you simply divorced). Maybe IT misspelt your title after they arrange your Mac. Perhaps your preliminary and surname spell one thing offensive, or it is perhaps time to vary what was as soon as an amusing username for one thing extra formal. Maybe your present brief title isn’t actually brief and is a ache to sort each time you’re prompted on your username. Perhaps you’ve obtained two or extra Macs and also you need to use the identical brief username on all of them. Or possibly you inherited a Mac and would like to simply change the title of the present account slightly than create a brand new one.
Luckily, since Mac OS X Leopard launched in 2007, Apple has made it fairly easy to vary the brief username and Home folder title from inside System Preferences. Prior to Leopard, altering your brief username was an advanced, dangerous process.
There are nonetheless a couple of limitations although:
- The Short Name and Home folder title should match – so should you had been hoping to present your Home listing a comedy title, however eager the brief title as one thing extra formal, you might be out of luck.
- Despite what we mentioned about it being a much less dangerous process, it’s the sort of change that would end in information loss should you do one thing improper. So be sure you again up first!
- You can’t change the title of an account whereas logged into the account you’re altering. So additionally, you will must log in to a unique (administrator) account to do that – it’s possible you’ll must create that first.
If you might want to create a brand new administrator account observe these steps:
- Open System Preferences > Users & Groups.
- Click the lock icon and enter your password.
- Click on the + signal.
- Change New Account to Administrator.
- Give the account a reputation and password.
- Click Create User.
If you might have forgotten your password learn: How to get well a forgotten Mac password.
Alternatively you can also make an present account an administrator.
- Open the Users & Groups desire pane.
- Click the lock icon on the lower-left nook and authenticate your self.
- Select the account within the listing at left.
- Check the field “Allow the user to administer this computer.”
- macOS notes that it’s important to restart your Mac for that to take impact; accomplish that.
How to vary Mac username
Now that you’ve arrange this different administrator account it’s easy to vary the person title on your account. But you will notice a reasonably stark warning that altering the settings may harm the account and stop you from logging in, so do be cautious!
The very first thing to do is sign off of your account and into this new administrator account:
- Click on the Apple brand and select Log out [your name]
- Then enter the brand new admin account title and password.
Now you might be all set to vary the username of your traditional account. Follow these steps to vary the username:
- Open System Preferences.
- Click on Users & Groups.
- Click unlock and enter your password (for the admin account you might be utilizing).
- Now Control-click or right-click the person that you just need to rename.
- Choose Advanced Options.
- Change the title within the full title area.
- Restart the pc for the modifications to take impact.
This will solely change the username – not the Home listing title, or your Short Name. And, because the warning states, it could harm the account and stop you from logging in!
We did it with none issues, though there have been a couple of hair-raising seconds when the login course of took barely longer than traditional.
How to vary Home folder title and Account title
Changing your Home folder title (and your account title, which is linked – and as you possibly can see within the picture above, grayed out) is extra sophisticated.
As earlier than it’s important to be logged out of the account to have the ability to change it. So should you aren’t already within the separate admin account log into that.
Here’s the best way to change your Home folder title and Account title:
- Go to the Users folder on the startup drive (to search out it open the Finder and click on on Go > Computer)
- This ought to open the Macintosh HD [or Untitled/whatever name your computer has] folder.
- Inside the Macintosh HD folder is the Users folder – click on to open that.
- Inside the Users folder you can see the Home listing for the account you’re renaming. (Write this down as you will have it later).
- Click on the folder and rename it. (Note the outdated and new title as a result of you will have it as soon as extra).
- Enter the password for the admin account you might be utilizing when prompted.
How to vary your Username
Having modified your Home folder title you now want to vary your Username – should you don’t there shall be issues as a result of the 2 want the identical title. You additionally want to vary the title within the area what reveals the situation of the Home listing.
- Open System Preferences > Users & Groups.
- Click unlock and enter the password for the admin account you simply logged in with.
- From the listing of customers, Control-click or right-click the person that you just need to rename.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Change Account Name area to the brand new title you simply gave the Home folder for that person.
- Next change the Home listing area to match the brand new title you gave the Home folder.
- Click OK.
- Close System Preferences.
- Restart the Mac.
- Log on to the renamed account
If you might have any issues logging in test that the account and one listing names are the identical.
Need to vary your admin password? Here’s
How to vary the admin password on a Mac.
You might also need to make logging onto your Mac even simpler – do you know you probably have an Apple Watch you should utilize that to go browsing mechanically? Here’s
the best way to unlock and go surfing to your Mac with an Apple Watch.